According to the Cardiff Times of December 1, 1945, a meeting of Rhiwbina residents was held to set up an organising committee for the provision of a memorial hall and community centre.
Fundraising took place over the next 12 years and grants were obtained. As the building was about to be started in late 1956, one of the grants was withdrawn and desperate efforts were made to raise the £10,000 required. Residents of Rhiwbina were each asked to donate £1, and a number of people donated an interest-free loan, and the day was saved.
The hall was finished in the summer of 1957 and officially opened and dedicated by Countess Mountbatten on Friday, June 13, 1958.
The hall is managed by the Rhiwbina Memorial Hall And Community Association with as objectives ‘to promote the well-being of the community residents in Rhiwbina by associating the residents and sympathisers in a common effort to further health, to advance education, to provide facilities for physical and mental training and recreation, and social, moral and intellectual development, and to foster a community spirit for the achievement of these and other charitable objects.’
The Association has four foundation groups: the Rhiwbina Amateur Theatrical Society, the Rhiwbina Bridge Club, the Rhiwbina Floral Society and the Rhiwbina Badminton Club. Trustees, as elected from time to time by the membership of the Association, hold in trust the building and freehold, and the day-to-day management of the Hall is carried out by an Executive Committee, who are appointed annually at an Annual General Meeting.
The Association is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation, registered with the Charity Commission, as Registered Charity No. 1161074.
If you would like more information on the running of the Hall, please feel free to contact us on email@example.com, or by post to :
The Secretary, Rhiwbina Memorial Hall, Lon Ucha, Rhiwbina, Cardiff, CF14 6HL.
Thanks to Ivan Gibson, former Trustee of the Hall, for his research into the early beginnings of the Hall.